The Daily Southerner, Tarboro, NC

Homepage

December 30, 2013

Fire destroys Pinetops home

PINETOPS — PINETOPS – An electrical fire completely destroyed a single-wide trailer on Highway 111/122 North just south of Davistown-Mercer Road Friday morning.

No one was injured in the blaze, but the homeowner lost everything in the residence, including what they had received for Christmas.

South Edgecombe Volunteer Fire Department received a structure fire call around 11:30 a.m. and when they arrived the home was engulfed with flames and pouring out the top of the home.

According to Edgecombe County Fire Marshal Butch Beach, five fire departments responded to the scene to help extinguish the flames.

"The fire started with an electrical failure between the bedroom and kitchen," Beach said. "The home is a total loss and nothing could be saved."

Traffic on 111/122 was diverted to allow the first responders free movement and to reduce the traffic in the area.

The homeowner, Carolyn Bullock, told WITN that her daughter saw smoke and fire and alerted everyone to get outside.

Fortunately for Bullock and her family, they do have insurance, according to Beach.

This was the seventh fire in the county since the week before Christmas. Two of those fires claimed three lives. Two fatalities were claimed in a Macclesfield fire on Green Street that took the lives of Bob and Judy Corbett and the third death came as a result of an electrical fire in Rocky Mount, where the homeowner left a drop-cord plugged in underneath a rug and it sparked a fire and destroyed the home.

Beach said there are several tips that can help prevent fires and people usually don't pay attention to small things that cause the fires.

"If you are using lights for holiday decorations and leave home then you need to unplug them until you arrive back," Beach said. "If you are going to use an extension cord as a source of electricity then don't place a rug over top of the plug-in. Just use the extension cord temporarily for a source of power."

Beach also said if you burn wood in a fire place or wood heater that is connected to the fireplace, then you need to have your chimney inspected before using it.

In one of the fires, Beach said the fire started in the chimney, because of a crack in it and the fire spread to the roof and caused extensive damage to the home.

The American Red Cross was on the scene quickly Friday and were able to help the fire crews, Beach said.

1
Text Only
Homepage
triplets.jpg

Autistic 3-year-old triplets Ja’Won, Ja’Quon and Ja’Quavion, from left to right, take a break from riding their bikes to sit together on the couch of their Tarboro home. The triplets’ mother Lisa Porter shared her story in honor of autism awareness month, which is April.

Local News
Our Community
Sports
Joe Miller.jpg

Tarboro Vikings first baseman Joe Miller drives in the go ahead run for the Vikings in the sixth inning. Miller was 1 for 3 with a RBI as the Vikings defeated the South Creek Panthers 4-2.

  • Vikings make late comeback

    The Tarboro Vikings bats took a nap for the first five innings Thursday against the South Creek Cougars in Two Rivers Conference action until the sixth inning alarm clock woke seniors Wesley Hart and Joe Miller.

    April 18, 2014 1 Photo

  • Harrell returning to Louisville
Opinion
  • The legacy of Joe W. Dickens Jr.'s dash

    Joe W. Dickens Jr.
    Sept. 14, 1953 - March 21, 2014
    The above statement is profound in its own way. It signifies the birth and the death of one of the most influential men in Edgecombe Coun

    March 31, 2014

Lifestyles
  • Bones-final-cover.jpg Local librarian pens first novel

    Roman Leary, director at Edgecombe County Memorial Library, has written his first novel – “Six Days of the Dragon.”

    March 19, 2014 2 Photos

Obituaries Archives
Events
  • EDGECOMBE EVENTS

    Edgecombe Events must be submitted by noon the day before publication. Items eligible include notices of local meetings and activities of non-profit organizations, clubs, schools and civic groups in the community. Information should be brief and typewritten, neatly printed or via  e-mail. For questions call 252-823-3106 or
    e-mail: events@dailysoutherner.com.
     

    April 18, 2014

Facebook
CNHI Network News
AP Video
Raw: More Than 100,000 Gather for Easter Sunday Raw: Greeks Celebrate Easter With "Rocket War" Police Question Captain, Crew on Ferry Disaster Raw: Orthodox Christians Observe Easter Rite Ceremony Marks 19th Anniversary of OKC Bombing Raw: Four French Journalists Freed From Syria Raw: Massive 7.2 Earthquake Rocks Mexico Captain of Sunken SKorean Ferry Arrested Raw: Fire Destroys 3 N.J. Beachfront Homes Raw: Pope Presides Over Good Friday Mass Raw: Space X Launches to Space Station Superheroes Descend on Capitol Mall Man Charged in Kansas City Highway Shootings Obama Awards Navy Football Trophy Anti-semitic Leaflets Posted in Eastern Ukraine Raw: Magnitude-7.2 Earthquake Shakes Mexico City Ceremony at MIT Remembers One of Boston's Finest Raw: Students Hurt in Colo. School Bus Crash Deadly Avalanche Sweeps Slopes of Mount Everest