The Daily Southerner, Tarboro, NC

Local History

Local History
  • ECC-faculty-member-publishes-local-history-book.jpg ECC faculty member publishes book on local history

    Edgecombe Community College faculty member Monika S. Fleming has published her fifth book on local history, "Legendary Locals of Edgecombe and Nash Counties."
    Fleming is program coordinator of the Historic Preservation Trades program at the college.
    She worked with the Twin County Museum and Hall of Fame, Braswell and Edgecombe libraries, and the Edgecombe County Veterans Military Museum to identify more than 180 local legends who are highlighted in the book.

    March 4, 2013 1 Photo

  • Tarboro Jubilee Singers - edit.jpg The Tarboro Jubilee Singers

    Most readers will remember and recognize the Fisk Jubilee Singers, the a capella choral group from Fisk University in Nashville, Tennessee. The Jubilee Singers were organized in 1871 and their tours were (and continue to be) a successful means of raising funds for the institution. The popular group is known for singing spirituals as well as a wide variety of other songs.

    August 15, 2012 1 Photo

  • Roberson School faculty-USE.jpg Roberson School, a Brief History and Legacy

    Note: The Edgecombe County School Board, at its April 9, 2012 meeting, approved the closure of the Roberson Center for Educational Achievement. Final approval by the State Board of Education is expected. Future use of the building has not yet been determined.
    The first Roberson School, a three-teacher wooden school, was located next to old Mayo Chapel Church, about half a mile northeast of Mayo Crossroads on NC 42. The school, like other African-American schools across the county, served a rural, low-wealth, and agarian population, mostly sharecroppers and small farmers

    June 25, 2012 1 Photo


    The following people were either cited for traffic violations or charged with crimes    during the past week by the Tarboro Police Department.

    March 28, 2012

  • edgecombe musicians HOF.JPG Legendary Locals & Twin County Hall of Fame

    It is almost spring and each spring since 2004 the Twin County Hall of Fame has asked the public to nominate people worthy of being inducted.  Nominations  are collected and reviewed by a special committee of people representing both Edgecombe and Nash counties and Rocky Mount.  The committee then proposes a list to the board to be inducted in the fall.

    March 14, 2012 1 Photo

  • Mother seeks answers in daughter's death

    A mother of the woman who was killed when she was run over by a car is still looking for answers to her daughter's death.

    March 2, 2012

  • Fuller, Willie - 2a.jpg Tuskegee Airman Willie Howell Fuller Tarboro’s 'Red Tail'

    With the showing of the movie Redtails in movie theaters today about the Tuskegee Airmen during World War II, it is appropriate that we remember Tarboro’s own “Red Tail,” Willie Howell Fuller. Prior to Tuskegee Airmen, there had been no African American military pilots. Highly motivated, they proved themselves to be a particularly effective fighting squadron, escorting bombers. The Airmen were called “Red Tails” because they painted the tails of their  P-51 Mustangs red.

    February 1, 2012 1 Photo

  • rooks 3.JPG Remembering history

    The Emancipation Proclamation was issued Jan. 1, 1863 by President Abraham Lincoln. With the newfound freedom of slaves, during the brink of conflict with the American Civil War, many were able to connect with a world of opportunity. Education and worship were a few of these opportunities according to Lovie Rooks, retired Edgecombe County educator and Tarboro native.

    January 16, 2012 2 Photos

  • 001a.jpg W. A. Pattillo: Educator, Community Leader

    When Walter Alexander Pattillo came to Tarboro 1912, he joined an established educational system that was already serving the black community. Building on that foundation, he developed a comprehensive union school (first grade through twelfth grade) for the area blacks.

    December 21, 2011 1 Photo

  • Lawrence & Mary Eliza Cotten Fountain 001.jpg Lawrence and Mary Eliza Cotten Fountain remains moved from family farm

    We are two great grandchildren who initiated this project:  Ardelia Harper Long “Dee” of Tarboro and William Buckley Fountain “Bill” of Richmond, VA.
    This past June the remains of Lawrence Fountain (1832-1895) and his wife, Mary Eliza Cotten Fountain (1841-1921) were moved 3 and 3/10 miles from a cotton field on Route 33 to the William and Mary Hart Presbyterian Church cemetery in Leggett.  They were placed beside their son, William Fountain. 

    December 14, 2011 1 Photo

AP Video
Obama Hopeful on Ukraine, Will Watch Russians Flamingo Frenzy Ahead of Zoo Construction Crew Criticized Over Handling of Ferry Disaster Agreement Reached to Calm Ukraine Tensions Raw: Pope Francis Performs Pre-easter Ritual Raw: Bulgarian Monastery Dyes 5000 Easter Eggs Diplomats Reach Deal to Ease Tensions in Ukraine U.S. Sending Nonlethal Aid to Ukraine Military Holder: Americans Stand With KC Mourners Obama Greets Wounded Warriors Malaysia Plane: Ocean Floor Images 'Very Clear' Sparks Fly With Derulo and Jordin on New Album Franco Leads Star-studded Broadway Cast Raw: Two Lucky Kids Get Ride in Popemobile Boston Bombing Survivors One Year Later Sister of Slain MIT Officer Reflects on Bombing
Twitter Updates
Must Read